Thursday 19 March 2009

Eking a Living

He asked me to retrieve some stolen documents; to shoot down the man who took them and salvage the item from his wreck. I'm not entirely certain how comfortable I feel about shooting another pilot... we all deserve a chance at life... but he did something wrong, morally, and should be brought to justice.

At least, that's what they would have me believe. I don't pretend to understand the political machinations which cause people to act the way they do. I have little faith that my superiors are entirely innocent in any given situation -- I watch the news, alright? I pay attention, I listen.

But -- and this is the sad part -- I need the ISK. While I was in the station, I listened in on the local chatter. Pilots accusing others of destroying their ships, stealing from them as they mined. Capsuleer piracy, war declarations. Destroying one anothers' pods. New Eden is harsh world, and the defenses of my Velator, I'm afraid, will not be up to the challenge.

The payout from retrieving my agent's stolen documents was enough for me to buy skills to train in upgrading my ship and commanding drones for defense. After that, Messire Feritte paid me to deliver an encryption code-book and gave me a reference to an acquaintance of his in another system. I bought a shield-booster for Pequeña, just in case.

The new agent seems nice. He's asked me to mine some Veldspar, though, and I made certain to load a book into my cortical memory. There's little else to do but sit and watch the laser cycle. I think I shall go mad if this is how I'm expected to earn a living.

No comments:

Post a Comment